There are plenty of ways to reduce travel-related carbon emissions.
Climate change is getting worse and contributing to droughts, floods, wildfires and habitat destruction around the world. And here in Canada, nearly a quarter of planet-warming greenhouse gas emissions come from the transportation sector.
As a Living Planet @ Work workplace champion, you can help your company reduce its travel footprint — while also saving money!
For example, carpooling not only keeps cars off the road, it also keeps gas money in the pockets of your co-workers. Providing transit passes instead of parking passes encourages more sustainable choices. And leveraging video conferencing tools offers an eco-friendly alternative to out-of-town meetings, which saves money, travel time and whole lot of hassle.
Related Sustainable Development Goals:
Explore our Travel Resources
Five Communication Tips
Travel: How To Guide
Clean Commute Challenge
5 WAYS TO TAKE ACTION
- Track your office’s footprint from business travel and employee commuting to find out where your biggest impacts lie.
- Encourage employees to use technology to reduce the need for business air travel.
- Set goals to implement policies that will help employees make decisions that reduce travel-related emissions across the organization.
- Communicate the benefits of environmentally preferable commuting options to employees.
- Host a clean commute challenge that provides incentives for employees to find lower-carbon alternatives to work (e.g. carpooling, public transit, biking and walking).